Did you know that yoga is particularly helpful when it comes to restlessness and insomnia? Practicing yoga in the evening, or before bed can be a natural sleep remedy that calms the mind while relieving tension in the body. Don’t worry, you don’t even need to do it in a yoga studio! Here’s a simple yoga session you can do in bed just before you hit the sack!
1. Sit up straight on your bed with your legs folded and straight in front of you. Have your pillows behind you to provide your lower back with some support. Close your eyes, rest your hands on your thighs and take a few deep breaths for several minutes. Relax your mind as your meditate. Play some relaxing music while you’re at it.
2. Move your upper body forward to stretch while extending your arms forward. Sit back up and lift your right thigh, folding it over your left. Twist your spine slightly to support your thighs. This will help relax the spine. Repeat with your left thigh.
3. Move into child’s pose by folding your torso over your legs with your arms extended. This pose will help calm your mind and relieve tension in your body. Take long deep breaths.
4. Lie down with your lower body facing the wall and flip your legs up and let them rest against the wall. Breathe and stay in this position for several minutes with your eyes closed.
5. Then, lie down your bed, extending both legs out. Breathe deep and then lift your knees close to your chest, hugging them close to your chest and rock slowly side to side on your back.
6. Lie back into bed comfortably, and take very deep breaths, filling your body up with oxygen. As you exhale, imagine breathing out all your troubles with you. Repeat breathing, until you fall asleep.
Complement restful sleep with an energetic morning the next day with these morning yoga poses.