A brand new year is the perfect opportunity for a fresh start and a new beginning – especially for couples. Whether there are lessons to be learned from the previous year or you just want a positive change, making New Year’s resolutions can be really rewarding for the both of you. Be determined, work together and you’ll get there! Here are 10 New Year’s resolutions every couple should make.
1. Say “thank you” more often – Although this is a fairly simple gesture, it will work wonders for your relationship when your partner is constantly aware that you appreciate everything he or she has done for you. You may think that this is unimportant, but saying “thank you” will make your partner happy and they will be glad knowing that you are grateful.
2. Learn to listen – When your partner talks about his day, sit down, look him in the eye and concentrate on what he says, then, ask follow-up questions. Don’t multi-task as you listen to your partner because sometimes, that’s all they really need – for you to listen to them. This is one of the best things you can do for your love life so, work at it.
3. Have a proper date night – Even if you’ve been in a relationship for a long time, you shouldn’t think that date nights are only meant for those who have just met one another. Set a date night every week and put everything else aside to spend time with your partner. Go to the movies, have a romantic dinner or even go cycling together. Anything would be good and you’ll learn to love each other better.
4. No phones during alone time – We all live off our phones nowadays and the both of you should learn how to put your phones away when you’re enjoying each other’s company. Appreciate your alone time by disciplining yourself to stay away from social media, even if it’s just for an hour or two. You’ll find your love life more fulfilling and romantic.
5. Have a little more fun – As a couple, learn to let loose and have fun. Laugh at silly things happening around you and play little jokes on him to make him giggle. The both of you may have been busy all week, but that doesn’t mean that the responsibilities of your daily lives should weigh you down. Find fun in everyday circumstances and you’d feel more connected to your partner.
6. Volunteer together – Keep giving as a couple and do good together. Volunteer at a soup kitchen, visit the old folks’ home, or put a smile on the faces of the less fortunate children. Make an impact in other people’s lives and you’ll feel much better about yourself and your relationship. Kindness is simply good for the soul.
7. Start a new hobby together – Find an activity that the both of you enjoy and work on it as a weekly hobby. Even though you may have your own favourite activities, starting a hobby together would make your romance sizzle and make the both of you feel more connected to each other’s lives.
8. Take more photos together – Make it a habit to take more silly photos together so that the both of you can look back one day and remember something funny, while reminiscing about the good times you’ve had as a couple. Many people tend to take for granted the simple meals they’ve had with their partners, or the romantic night walks they’ve taken together. We’re not asking you to document your daily lives, but when there’s something worth remembering, snap a photo together.
9. Praise more than criticize – When you’ve been together for a long time, you can easily overlook their greatness and their strengths. Instead of complaining about him and dwelling on his bad habits, remind yourself about the reasons you fell for him in the first place. Then, remind him too! You can also compliment him on his hair, or that you love his cooking. He’ll adore you more for that.
10. Respect each other’s hobbies – Gaming, football, wood working, admiring cars or being enthusiastic over the latest tech tool – it doesn’t take much from you to ask him what’s going on and learn to be interested in his passion. Find out what makes the man you fell in love with excited, and avoid showing him you’re disinterested.