Honey is great and it even goes beyond its taste! Apart from being one of the oldest sweeteners on earth, honey also happens to be one of the most accessible super foods that just about everyone can have. This ‘nectar of the gods’ doesn’t only taste good, but this golden syrup comes packed with amazing benefits for your body. Let’s look at the 10 health benefits of honey!
1. Honey gives your body a great boost of strength and energy as it’s a source of carbohydrates. Before or during a workout, have a spoon of honey and it’ll help take your performance and endurance higher, while reducing muscle fatigue.
2. Honey contains healthy sugars that can keep your blood sugar level daily constant unlike other types of sugars. The glucose in honey is responsible for giving your body an immediate energy boost, while fructose provides your body with sustained energy.
3. Honey is high in antioxidants, which can help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. It won’t actually cure cancer, but it does also have anti-tumor properties. So start drinking some honey water daily!
4. Honey has high anti-bacterial properties that’ll boost your immune system. It can help improve your digestive system, helping you stay healthy by warding off diseases. According to research, all honey is antibacterial because the bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide.
5. Honey has the ability to reduce cough and throat irritation, especially buckwheat honey. A study was conducted and the results showed that buckwheat honey was just as affective as a single dose of potent cough syrup.
6. Honey has the ability to heal wounds and burns. Applying it externally is supposed to have the same effect as medication used to treat wounds burns. Scientists believe that this has to do with the drying effect of the simple sugars and the honey’s anti-bacterial nature.
7. While honey may be anti-bacterial, it also possesses a good amount of healthy bacteria – six species of lactobacilli and 4 species of bifidobacteria.
8.According to Ayurvedic medicine, honey has the ability to penetrate the deepest tissues of the body, and is said to improve eyesight, weight loss, curing impotence and premature ejaculation, urinary tract disorders, bronchial asthma, diarrhea and nausea.
9. Thanks to its anti-bacterial qualities, honey gives you the advantage of beautiful skin, especially when used with other ingredients. It’s moisturizing and nourishing, and its antioxidants can even prolong the rate of aging.
10. According to a pharmacist and sports nutritionist, two spoonfuls of honey before bed can help burn fat from your body while you sleep. This generally works with a combination of a healthy diet and training with weights instead of long aerobic workouts.