Airbnb has opened up a whole new world of travelling possibilities and we’re clearly no longer limited to average hotels alone. We have to admit – browsing the Airbnb site has got to be one of our favourite past times, whether or not a vacay plan is in the works. After all, it’s always exhilarating when you come across a hidden gem you’re eager to tell your friends about. Here are eight somewhat uncommon and rustic Airbnb rentals we’ve picked out:
1. Ratu Rening Residency – Chill at this little ecological hideaway nearby Selangor’s Forest Reserve Area and wake up to the calming sounds of nature, away from the calamities of the city. For more adventurous guests, a hiking trail nearby which takes about 90 minutes per way leads to a scenic waterfall, and oh, furry friends are welcomed to stay.
Price per night – RM2499
2. The Owl Homestay – This newly renovated 50-year-old home turned lodging is designed based on a ‘forest in the city’ concept, and encapsulates the owner’s memories of growing up in the olden days exuded through its rustic and retro charm. You and your crew hopeless in the kitchen? Local home cooked meals prepared by a neighbour can be pre-ordered.
Price per night – RM648
3. Sekeping Terasek – Experience a spacious postmodern oasis tucked away in Bangsar that’s unlike any other boutique downtown hotel in the area. With the warmth of brick walls intermingled with a little bit of nature and natural sunlight coming through, guests can indulge in the savoir faire of simplicity that’s unconventional.
Price per night – 1150
4. Rainforest Retreat – Surrounded by lush foliage of the scenic Kanching Rainforest Reserve, this gorgeous escape is perched on a hilltop of a sprawling 3-acre land that serves as a gateway to relax, recharge and rejuvenate. Start your day with picturesque views overlooking mountains and a golf course, relax by the infinity pool and cosy up with a barbeque.
Price per night – RM701
5. Private Villa – This stunning property that’s built with ultimate relaxation in mind is located nearby the renown Tip of Borneo and is ideal for small groups of up to 8 yearning for luxury and privacy. Ornamented with an 18-metre long infinity pool and landscaped with tropical plants and coconut trees, a white sandy beach is just a rugged path away from the villa.
Price per night – RM1997
6. theCharcoal – Smacked right in capital of Sarawak in Kuching, this beautifully constructed timber-accented rental that consists of three bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms and common living spaces is a warm and cushy haven that’s well suited for up to 10 people. The host would also be more than happy to offer dining recommendations and attractions.
Price per night – RM553
7. The Woods – Believe it or not, this uber spacious villa can accommodate small groups, or massive crowds of up to 40 to 70 pax, making it a one-of-a-kind event venue surrounded by luscious greenery, complete with full kitchen amenities, a pool and hot tub. Think bachelorette parties, yoga retreats, or even a private wedding weekend.
Price per night – RM2002
8. Chengal House – Another one for larger crowds or groups, this breathtaking forest retreat amidst Tanarimba allows guests to connect with nature, especially when it is encompassed within abundant flora and fauna. The adventurous may want to trek up Gunung Nuang or take a dip in the waterfalls nearby. Bukit Tinggi, a food paradise, is merely 5km away.
Price per night – RM3502