You know that feeling you get when the person you’re dating does something, and out of nowhere, you’re suddenly repulsed by them? This is most commonly known as “the ick” on TikTok. From the most bizarre makeup and fashion hacks to surprisingly helpful relationship advice, TikTok is a magical place filled with weird, unconventional, and questionable content. Today, we’ll be looking at the most hilarious “icks” that people have shared on the platform. It can be brought on by things like… when they use baby talk when they’re apologizing, to finding out that they’re family refers to them by a childish nickname. The possibilities are endless!
The phrase’s popularity quickly grew after Olivia Atwood (from the 2017 series Love Island) used the term to explain the breakdown of her relationship with Sam Gowland. She said, “When you’ve seen a boy, and got the ick, it doesn’t go, it’s caught you, and it’s taken over your body. It’s just ick. I can’t shake it off!”
So, the next time you want to stop crushing on someone, just think about them in these situations. Without further ado, here are some ridiculous icks people have shared on TikTok that you might be able to relate to:
1. These jeans
Yeah…no. These jeans need to be left in 2015.
2. When they show their buttcrack
Just wear some fitting jeans, yeah?
3. When they use babytalk
Sowwy… but the daycare is closed. You can either talk like an adult or leave.
4. When they drop a coin and chases after it
I’ll admit it, this one’s kinda ridiculous, but IT’S SO TRUE.
5. When they have food around their mouth
This one’s a universal ick, it’s embarrassing for everyone, especially when you’re on a first date. Hell no!
Though these TikToks definitely embody the essence of “the ick”, the comment section is truly where the gold is:
6. “He opened his mouth and he has lil strings of saliva sticking to his lips. I got up and left mid convo lmao” – Fortune Coochie
7. “He used to part his mustache to the side with his tongue. My soul left my body everytime.” – Shirley Pena
8. “He spoke too loud in public it made me feel nauseous” – miya
9. “Another ick was that his nose always whistled when he breathed, and I could literally hear him blink 🥴” – tsnmi
10. “I got the ick cause he made sad dog noises once when I called him cute” – user518174766145
11. “Imagine him making his bitmoji” – lilmsxx
12. “Coughing directly at you without blocking it” – beefyboi55
13. “Imagine they’re telling a joke but no one listens so they repeat it and no one laughs so they try to explain why it’s funny” – _spahettibolonese
14. “When he screams at his mom” – only.taaal
15. “We were having lunch and as we were talking, a little ball of ear wax fell out and he didn’t notice it. But I did. Couldn’t face him after that.” – spookydulce
16. “Hung out with this guy at his house and he would use all fours every time he went upstairs. I was done…” – hellokita.xo
17. “When you eat with him and you can hear him chewing” – eunxia1
18. “He showered and came out with the same outfit he had on originally.” – sheila_marieeee
19. “IMAGINE HE SNEEZES AMD GETS SNOT EVERYWHERE AND TRIES TO PULL IT OFF” – coolduckwithboots
20. “I would like to add an ick: long finger and toenails. It’s an instant nope” – ripleylewis
Yeah… anything can be an ick. But don’t worry, just because you experienced “the ick,” it doesn’t mean your relationship is over. In an interview with the Independent, dating coach and relationship expert James Preece stated that “the ick” can occasionally be you holding yourself back from happiness and that it’s important to give your icks careful consideration. We’re all just humans after all!
What are your icks?
More on TikTok? Read these: