The Klang Valley is abundant with places to get a steak. But if you’re anything like me and you’re serious about your steaks, you know that whipping up the perfect steak needs some serious skills. Which is why every time you decide to have a steak night out, you need to be sure that the establishment you’re visiting knows what it takes in serving the perfect steak.
So, the next time you’ve got a hankering for a juicy slab of meat (or meats), you should check out my little tried and tested list of the best steaks in KL:
1. Ril’s Bangsar – Ril’s Bangsar is known for their world class cocktails and live performances in a casual fine dining setting. But for those who don’t know, Ril’s also has quite the selection steaks. Seared intensely to produce the ultimate flavour, the steaks here are sourced from only the most juicy and tender cuts to ensure high satisfaction. If you’re heading over in a group, try the hefty porterhouse or Tomahawk , doused with some sinful bone marrow jus to share. Prices range from RM28-RM42 per 100 grams. As these specific cuts run out pretty quick, be sure to call ahead to check for availability!
2. Marble 8 – Marble 8 manages to combine fine dining, the art of steak and spectacular views of the city all in one luxurious package. This steakhouse specialises in dry aged steak which is done in a glass drying room on site, you know, like a teaser as you make your way to the table. The steak cuts here has one of the top scores of marbled steaks (they don’t call themselves Marble 8 for nothing) so don’t bother with the steak sauces and let the meat speak for itself! Marble 8 is a little more pricey but if you’re down to splurge for the night, your money would totally be put to good use here. Click here to check out the menu!
3. Maria’s Steakcafe – The decor at Maria’s Steakcafe is a little unassuming but you’d be surprised to find that they do serve Wagyu at a high marble score (marbling of flesh and fat in a piece of steak) here. The meats here are of top notch quality and seared perfectly to your desired level of doneness (I always like mine at a bloody medium rare). Service is also friendly, swift and the pricing is a little more affordable than most steakhouses. A Wagyu Marble 7 runs at RM95 per 100 grams here which is quite reasonable considering that the marble score is pretty high.
4. Cedar on 15 – Cedar on 15 is located in Kuala Lumpur’s Impiana Hotel on the 15th floor and is possibly KL city’s best kept secret. With sweeping views of the Kuala Lumpur skyline, Cedar on 15 serves a mean Wagyu served on a slab of heated Himalayan salt shipped in all the way from the Himalayan mountains – a different take to the wooden slabs they serve meats on. The steaks are lightly seasoned before grilling as the rock salt would soon season it further. Tender, juicy and definitely melt-in-your-mouth worthy, the generous 200gms piece of Wagyu here is priced at RM115.
5. Las Vacas – Las Vacas is a combination of a deli and steakhouse. It’s got quite a laidback ambience, perfect for weekend lunches or dinners with the family. The best part at Las Vacas (besides the steak) is that you could pick any of the premium marbled cuts from the chiller for your meal and know that it’s gong to be cooked to perfection.
6. PRIME at Le Meridien – Awarded ‘Best Meat Place’ by Time Out KL’s Food Awards 2014, PRIME dishes out the finest imported U.S and Australian finest beef cuts. Impressive floor-to-ceiling wine walls creates a lush ambience, reflecting the marriage of great steaks and great wines. Steaks run at triple digits per 200gms here but also know that you’re only getting the finest steaks in town. Also, with a memorable ambience and dining experience, PRIME makes a great place for special occasion dinners. Check out the menu here!
7. The Steakhouse – Located on the bustling street of Changkat Bukit Bintang, The Steakhouse is a 40 seater establishment with a reputation in serving the finest cuts of meats out of Australia. Take your pick from either the Aged Black Angus or usual grain fed option – both tantalising in taste and incredibly tender. Need wine to go with that meal? Have your waiter suggest a curated wine to go with that piece of steak.
8. Beast – Taking a walk on the wild side with Beast is always a pleasure when you’re about to get your carnivore on. Expect huge slabs of meat at Beast with equally amazing side dishes. Our favourite is the steak fries and duck-fat potatoes. So sinful but so good. You also get to choose from a selection of sauces including chimichurri, salsa para, truffle béarnaise or beef jus. Menu can be found here.
Have fun steaking out!