In an initiative to better understand the female English pay-TV audience in Asia, media company Universal Networks International, with research partner Synovate, launched “High Heeled Warriors,” a unique psychographic study of women across South East Asia.
The study gives an in-depth look at the lifestyle habits, psychographic motivations and self-identity of contemporary urban women in The Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia. The appellation of “High Heeled Warriors” aptly summarises its findings, of how Asian women are approaching expectations and duties with increasing power, intelligence and capability.
Now, the question is, who is the “High Heeled Warrior”? The “High Heeled Warrior” is the contemporary Asian woman is a high-heeled warrior as she faces great expectations and duties and approaches them with increasing power, intelligence and capability (in high heels!).
Let’s first take a look at the “High Heeled Warriors” in the world. Did you know that:
1. There are 1 billion women in the workforce worldwide and earn USD12 trillion (RM37 trillion).
2. In Malaysia alone, there 57 women for every 100 men working (47% of Malaysian women are in the workforce).
3. Women are making or influencing 64% of all purchase decisions.
4. They control USD20 trillion (RM62 trillion) of consumer spending worldwide! Well, aherm, obviously.
5. The growing female economy represents one of the most important commercial opportunities in our lifetime.
6. As a result of the unrelenting pressures of one’s job, housework, juggling multiple roles, caring for the family and finding time for oneself, women place a high value on achieving comfort (and even moments of indulgence and personal pampering) whenever they can.
And the top ten traits of Malaysian “High Heeled Warrior” can be identified as such:
1. She is well-educated
She invests in education as she considers academic achievements as means for career advancement, and to be respected by others.
2. She is ambitious
She is optimistic and at the same time ambitious. She looks forward to a better life and a brighter future.
3. She is driven by success
She aspires to be successful in every aspect of her life. She wants achievements in her career and have financial stability. She also greatly desires success in her family life (e.g. finding a suitable husband, raising kids well, and providing them with good education).
4. She is career-minded
She attains personal satisfaction (and a sense of self-respect and pride vis-à-vis other women) by being a successful modern working woman (and mom), as she wants to contribute to the family and provide for their well-being.
5. She is financially independent
She works hard to be financially independent and plans ahead in anticipation of future needs. She does not want to always depend on her husband, as she is confident and capable.
6. She is a go-getter
She is a go-getter and unafraid to do what needs to be done to achieve her goals. She desires to be respected, praised, and acknowledged for her achievements.
7. She wants to project her personal and financial capabilities
She wants to be seen as a successful career woman, and at times would like to express it through her personal style. She also wants to be the first to experience the trendiest things. Brands must appeal to her need for respect and authority. Luxury to her is a sense of prestige, status, and exclusivity.
8. She wants security and comfort
She values relaxation (being pampered), comfort, reliability, and safety. She also wants to be in control of the future of her career and family well-being by ensuring everything is in place. She is well prepared to have a safe and comfortable life for her family.
9. She has a strong sense of family and community
She is all about being caring, loving, and responsible for her family and she values her role as both nurturer and caregiver. As a consumer, her priority is to spend on products that are best for her family.
10. She accepts traditions but is an active decision-maker
She feels the need to be part of society. Though accepting societal norms as part of their life, she does not see herself as being subservient in family decision-making. In fact, she plays a major role in making decisions for the family.
The study also established that Asian women are doing it all – they are educated, independent, and success-oriented; they have high expectations of themselves and their careers, without compromising their traditional family values.
And we know some of you can already recognize certain of the above traits in yourselves and if you do, give yourself a pat on the back and a whole lot of love. You’re a “High Heeled Warrior” too, sweetheart!