If you’re into DIY projects, you’d already know that Pinterest is THE best place to be for ideas and inspiration. There are millions of projects pinned up on the site and the best part about Pinterest is that most of these pins will lead you to different websites whereby you can explore and learn new things. This means that most of the pinned DIY projects on the site come with step-by-step instructions you can follow and replicate! Feeling a little crafty? Here are five simple projects you need to try out for yourselves!
1. Wooden plaque art – These wooden plaque art add a sophisticated charm to your home and they are super easy to make. You’ll need some wood stain, a wooden plaque in a size of your choice, a printed stencil, some masking tape, scissors, acrylic paint and a sponge brush.
First of all, paint on two coats of wood stain onto the plaque to give it a nice earthy wood colour and leave it to dry for at least five hours. Then, open up a Word document and type out any quote or words you’d like on your plaque, making sure it fits the size of the plaque. Print the document out, cut out the letters and you’ll be left with a stencil. Position the stencil on your plaque, tape it down with some masking tape and proceed to gently dab on the acrylic colour on the plaque, making sure that it doesn’t bleed through the stencil. When you’re done, remove the stencil slowly, leave it to dry overnight and it will be ready to be displayed. The possibilities are endless!
2. Melted crayon art – For this bright and uplifting wall art, you’ll need wax crayons, a canvas, glue gun and a hair dryer. Be sure to work at a dry, ventilated area for this project. You also might want to protect your floors with some old newspaper! First, glue gun the crayons to the top edge of the canvas, making sure that the colours are placed similarly to how they originally came in the box. After that’s done, you can go ahead and melt the crayons with the hair dryer until the colours drip down the canvas. Be sure to blow your hair dryer downwards!
3. Nail polish flowers – These little flowers can be used to create flower crowns as headpieces or you could use these as deco for greeting cards and to be put into tiny flower vases. You’ll need nail polish in various colours, craft wire, jewelry pliers and a wire cutter. Using the jewelry pliers, twist the wire to form little flowers with petals. It can get a little tricky, so take your time with this. Once you’ve got your shape in place, secure your design by twisting the wire a couple times around the base of the flower shape. Snip off the excess wire, leaving at least two inches of wire as the stem. Then, carefully, fill in the petals with some nail polish, starting from the edge of the wire, working your way around the entire petal. Leave the flowers to dry for at least four hours before doing anything with them.
4. Toilet paper roll wall art – The next time you run out of toilet paper, save the tissue rolls to create some beautiful wall art. You’ll need tons of empty tissue paper rolls, glue gun, scissors and a canvas. Firstly, press down on your toilet paper rolls so that they resemble flower petals when you look through the rolls. Then, eyeball equal parts of the tissue paper rolls into three and snip away with your scissors. You’ll be left with tons of little tissue roll petals and you can start playing around with the petals on your canvas to decide on a pattern or shape. To create flowers, glue five petals together on each side. When you’re happy with your design, glue all the tissue roll petals onto the canvas and you’re done. You can also do this directly on your walls if you’d like!
5. Colourful vases and jars – All you need is some clear glass vases and jars as well as some acrylic paint in colours of your choice. After wiping the insides of your vases and jars clean, pour some acrylic paint into them. Then, just swirl the vase or jar around so that the paint spreads to an even layer, covering up the surface of the glass from the inside. You can try to create your very own patterns according to your liking, or you could cover the entire thing up. Leave them to dry overnight and you’re done!