Move over, ladies! Lupita Nyong’o has truly arrived and she’s here to stay. The 31-year-old star who has recently won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress after starring in 12 Years A Slave did not only put herself in the league with your famous Hollywood A-listers, but the actress who’s of Mexican and Kenyan heritage also proved that she has the power to slay on the red carpet. Time and time again, Nyong’o showed the world that she’s indeed a game changer and an impeccable force not to be overlooked in the Hollywood fashion scene. So, what makes her such a standout?
Behind every celebrity trendsetter is their stylist and Lupita Nyong’o’s stylist, who was just named one of Hollywood’s most powerful, always ensures that the star looks tip top on the red carpet. Super stylist Macaela Erlanger oversees all the little touches that could take Nyong’o’s looks to the next level and she’s also shared some of her tips for fashion picks. Erlanger pointed out three things: Use a camera – “Take pictures of yourself in front, side and back to see how things read.” Always think about colour – “I love bold hues. People shouldn’t be afraid of color.” Lastly, have a surprise – “It’s got a bold design … it’s all about having a little surprise.” Maybe we should learn a thing or two!
What we’ve noticed is that Nyong’o is a lover of colour and her dark skin tone complements these colours so well that they make the gowns pop even more. Elegant and classy, most of the gorgeous gowns the star has donned also feature a special something. Whether it is a flowy full skirt, delicate floral neckline, structured bustiers or a magnificent cape, Nyong’o seems to be able to rock them all. We’ve also learnt from Nyong’o’s style that simplicity is always key and you should never overdo details or have way too much going on. Now, let’s take a look at some of Nyong’o’s most memorable fashion moments.
1. Oscar Awards – With this custom baby blue Prada gown, she probably shines the brightest than she’s ever did before. Heads turned, cameras were rolling and the star certainly got way more attention than she bargained for. Although the gown comes with a plunging neckline, Nyong’o pulls the gown off with much grace and elegance.
2. Golden Globe Awards – Talk about being bold! This striking red number by Ralph Lauren is everything you’d want in a gown. Besides the tasteful off-shoulder neckline, it also has a massive cape. Nyong’o proves that you don’t have to show a lot of skin to be sexy!
3. BAFTA Awards – For the BAFTA Awards, Nyong’o stunned the crowd as she shimmied in a striking emerald green Dior couture gown. The amazing number has a full skirt that flared from the bottom half of the gown and we bet anyone who’s pulling it off would surely feel like a queen!
4. Hollywood Film Awards – Packing a punch in canary yellow J. Mendel, the sleeveless gown with a keyhole detail makes her skin look even more bright and radiant. Let’s be honest here, not everyone looks good in yellow but Nyong’o somehow pulls the entire look together. Spectacular!
5. Screen Actors Guild Awards – Looking positively radiant in aquamarine Gucci, the 12 Years A Slave actress scooped up the SAG award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role looking mighty fine. The gown just oozes femininity and even though it is fairly simple, the floral detailing around the neckline puts it a class above the rest.
6. Critics’ Choice Movie Awards – This dazzling ivory silk Calvin Klein Collection gown effortlessly makes her the centre of attention. The gown hugs her figure perfectly and the cut out detailing baring a little bit of skin adds a hint of sexy without revealing too much.