Which Christmas would be complete without a batch of cute cookies?
We especially love the entire process of making these Gingerbread Men cookies because there are so many ways to decorate the cookies. From pressing raisins or nuts into the dough before baking to frosting and drawing faces on the baked and cooled cookies. Heck, it’s something even children can get involved in!
Think of it as an “art class project” in the kitchen for the kids (yes, get your nieces and nephew involved!) – we can bet our bottom dollar that they’d be extremely pleased with themselves having had a chance to help out with the Christmas celebrations.
You will need:
1 1/2 cups dark molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup shortening
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (16 ounce) package chocolate frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one cookie sheet.
2. Mix together the molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.
3. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured board. Cut with floured gingerbread cutter. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
5. Cool. Decorate with frosting (optional).
Note: If you like your Gingerbread Men cookies to be on the soft side bake them a little less than what the recipe states. The longer you bake, the harder they will become.
For more information visit their website.