Based on the stories and warnings by our fellow female friends, it appears that Mutiara Damansara is growing to be a major zone for crime in the Klang Valley. This bustling town that boasts up to four shopping centres within a 5-km radius is know a hotspot for unfortunate incidents, and women seem to be the target.
In the middle of March, a 25-year-old American woman was kidnapped and raped after she boarded a taxi outside The Curve Shopping Mall. The poor woman was driven all the way to Sepang, where she was raped by the driver.
Sometime mid-2012, TV personality, Dawn Jeremiah became a victim of snatch theft just outside [email protected] (formerly known as Cineleisure). She was walking outside of the mall when a man sneaked up on her and grabbed the strap of her handbag.
Within the recent week, two women also reported some shocking experiences that took place within the Mutiara Damansara area. Local actress, Yasmin Hani tweeted that her car window was smashed by a man on a motorbike. The incident took place at the traffic light close to The Strand. She fortunately, was able to save her bag.
3 major incidents took place within a month, and with each story, it only shows just how far these criminals will go just to get what they want. With all these stories, we hope that you will be very cautious of where you go, and not only in Mutiara Damansara, but anywhere else you go. We can only hope the town council will improve the safety for women by fixing up more security cameras and safety assistance for women.
Ladies, kindly keep these safety tips in mind wherever you are:
1. Always walk on the opposite end of the road, and keep your bag away from the road side.
2. Avoid listening to music on headphones wherever you go. You need to have full attention of your surroundings.
3. Have your car keys ready in your hands before you venture out into a car park, especially when you’re alone.
4. Have a tube of pepper spray with you wherever you go, and keep it in hand if you’re walking in a car park or anywhere quiet.
5. Be cautious of the cabs you board, or book a cab from the MyTeksi app instead.
6. Carry your belongings and money in your pocket, so when your bag does get snatched, you won’t totally be at lost.
7. Always prepare for emergencies and remember that anything could happen at any time.
You might also like: