Oh Valentine’s Day… the quirky and most talked about day of the year. Forget Christmas, forget New Years… it’s all about Valentine’s day.
There are two completely different ways to look at this ‘special’ day. If you’re single, it’s ‘Single Awareness Day’ and if you’re in a relationship it’s the day to celebrate your love (as for the real reason Valentine’s Day was created).
But, as time goes by, the traditions of Valentine’s day has become rather…. off. Things have changed, views have changed… and the wants and needs of both the males and females have also changed.
We took the liberty to find out exactly what the girls in the big city of Kuala Lumpur want. What do they want when it comes to a date on Valentine’s day? Should they recieve gifts? Should they pay for dinner? What is considered as a ‘normal’ Valentine’s Day celebration in this city?
First things first, what would your typical KL city girl want to do for Valentine’s day? Well, 80 % of the women we asked think that a simple dinner for two would be perfect. Nothing too fancy, nor too expensive. Something cozy – the kind of dinner that leaves you room for talking and getting to know each other. It also depends on whether you are working or if you’re a student then the ‘quality’ of the dinner varies. Obviously, there is no need to be fancy – but adding in the element of surprise is always good.
As for the other 20% of the woman we asked, they said that they would prefer to do something adventurous on a Valentine’s Day. When we asked what, we got answers like hiking, laser tag and all kinds of other outdoors or even extreme sports, as they said it was a fun way to get to know each other.
Now here comes a question that is often brought up in the dating world – and in this generation, it’s one of those ‘taboo’ questions. Should you got dutch on a date? In other words, should you take your wallet out and split the bill?
Through the survey that we conducted, we found out that 60% of woman would of course expect the men to pay for their dinner since they are taking the girls out they should have the initiative to pay for the entire night out – especially on a occasion like Valentine’s Day.
The other 40% of the woman that we asked during our survey said that they don’t mind splitting the bill or even taking charge of it (ofcourse, within reason that the bill doesn’t cost a whooping RM400 and above!) just because they see Valentine’s Day as just any other ordinary day. One of our readers also said that going dutch also saves you the extra trouble in case this specific day doesn’t go so well – that way, you don’t owe them anything if it doesn’t work out!
And lastly, should you receive a gift on Valentine’s Day from your special someone? From the survey that we conducted, 80% of the woman said yes! A present would be good – but ofcourse, nothing too expensive is expect. The other 20% of the woman we asked said no for the simple reason that it’s not that important – but ofcourse, when it comes to birthdays and other events, presents are a must!
So, what do girls in KL want to do for Valentine’s Day? Well, we think it’s safe to say that a simple dinner for two would be just about right. With a little gift on the side to spice up the occasion and also, the man should definitely take the initiative to pay for the bill – especially if he wants things to go in the right direction!
We took the streets of KL to find out what everyone is up to during this occasion: