Here’s the thing about applying foundation – there’s a very fine (and annoying) line between looking cakey or flawless. Especially when you have a friend that shows up looking like Mario Dedivanovic made a pit stop at her place before she came to hang out. The good news is, there are ways to have your foundation applied like a pro. Whether you’re a beginner or you’re just not loving your look quite yet, here are foundation hacks that you absolutely can’t miss.
1. Primer, foundation, concealer – Exactly in this order. Primer helps your foundation stay on while adding luminosity to your look all day. And when I say concealer last, I mean it. Applying concealer after foundation helps correct those eye bags and spots you’d like to hide more effectively and seamlessly than applying it before. We’re big fans of BECCA’s Backlight Priming Filter (RM179, available at Sephora) when it comes to adding radiance and helping our makeup stay on all day.
2. For a lighter application, add moisturiser – If you’re looking for a lighter and sheer application, add moisturiser to your foundation routine. This tip also helps especially when your skin is really dry. Applying a little bit of face oil to foundation also helps you in hydrating and maintaining coverage. Try Tarte’s Maracuja Oil from Sephora today. Retailed at RM179, this miracle in a bottle is rich in essential fatty acids known to recharge the skin while evening out complexion.
3. The 3 Swipe Test – Figure your perfect foundation shade out with swipes of 3 of the closest shades along your cheek/jawline to see which one fits your skin perfectly. And, really that’s all that’s there. Get NARS’ All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation (retailed at RM180) for that #IWokeUpLikeThis glow for up to 16 hours.
4. If you find yourself without concealer, never fret – Because foundation is still your bestfriend! Just apply some liquid foundation at the spot, let it dry so the consistency thickens and then rub it out like concealer. If you blend it out too soon then you might find yourself with very little coverage. Need a concealer? We absolutely love IT Cosmetics’ Bye Bye Under Eye Anti-Aging Concealer (RM102, available at Sephora).
5. Proper tools for proper coverage – If you want a sheer coverage, use a stippling brush. Medium coverage? A buffing brush. If you want a full coverage that looks like its been airbrushed by a pro, try ColorMe’s Foundation Applicator Pro Edition (RM289, available at Sephora). This foundation vibrator’s about to change your life.
6. Too much of a good thing isn’t a good thing – Don’t paint your whole face with large stripes of foundation. Experts recommend a maximum of 5 dots to give you a flawless finish – one each on your cheeks, forehead, chin and neck. Then blend it outwards in circular motions with a brush or Beauty Blender to distribute it evenly. Keep this adorable Bling Ring + BeautyBlender® Original (RM140, available at Sephora) on the vanity table to get your blend game on.
7. Blot away – Swap your setting powders for blotting papers the next time you touch up. This helps from making you look too cakey throughout the day while controlling the shin. Slip Sephora’s Oil Blotting Papers (RM26) in your purse for whenever you’re in need of a quick fix.
8. And yes, contouring helps a ton – Avoid from having a flat base by contouring under your foundation. Using a shade that’s 3 times darker than your foundation as a contour helps refine, resculpt, add warmth, and define. Be sure to warm up the hairline, temples and under the cheekbones for added depth. Kat Von D’s Shade + Light Contour Palette (RM250, available at Sephora) has all you need to sculpting the perfect base.
Take it away and be your flawless self, girls.