I’m pretty blessed in the eyelash department. The hairs aren’t as full and thick as I’d like them to be, but they grow insanely long; so much so that buying glasses is a problem as the lashes keep sweeping against the lenses. My eyelashes aren’t to die for, but I often get mistaken for wearing falsies when I only have mascara on. Admittedly, I do give them a lot of love to keep them looking and growing the best they could, so here are some of my tips and tricks you can follow:
1. Curl your lashes often – Here’s one thing I learned from a celebrity makeup artist – Curl your eyelashes in the morning and at night before bed, even when you’re not putting on makeup. Do this consistently and your eyelashes would gradually develop a natural, perky curl. It’s a wonderful hack if your eyelashes grow straight, like my very own.
2. Pump; don’t clamp with all your might – When curling your eyelashes, clamp them down firmly as close to your lash line as you can, but don’t apply too much pressure. This will weaken the hairs as you are creating a harsh dent on the eyelashes. Instead, pump the eyelash curler and as you do that, move upward towards the tips of your lashes.
3. Massage gently when removing makeup – I’ve refrained from using makeup remover wipes as I find that it tugs on my eyelashes a lot. Instead, I use a makeup cleansing oil or cleansing balm and let the product do its magic as it slowly melts off the mascara effortlessly. If you must, massage your eyes gently in a downward motion.
4. Don’t rub on your eyes with fingers – My eyes often get irritated and as a result, I rub on my eyes a lot. The next time you’re struggling with irritated eyes, place the plump, meaty part of your hand below the thumb on your affected eye, and massage gently. That part of your hand fits the curvature of the face wonderfully, and it’s less harsh for your eyelashes.
5. Use a lash serum – Eyelash serums can be expensive, but they’re totally worth the investment. Sometime last year, I noticed that my eyelashes were falling out a ton and I tried RevitaLash. It was really effective, and my eyelashes grew so long so quickly! I’ve now switched to Shiseido’s Full Lash Serum as it is much more affordable, but it also works really well.