You might want to reconsider your next drink.
18-year-old teenager Jayde Dinsdale, faced a traumatic ordeal as she suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed after a night out in town. The traumatic ordeal caused by the caffeine in the Jägerbombs she had consumed was only the start of it. The bubbly teenager had to spend three weeks in a hospital as she ended up in a coma after suffering a total of three cardiac arrests.
“The doctors told me it was all to do with the energy drinks. Now I’m looking at how much caffeine is in these drinks and I just can’t believe they are on sale,” said Jayde.
The teenager collapsed in the bathroom at home at 10 in the morning, eight hours after leaving the club where she had chugged Jägerbombs made from Jägermeister spirit and caffeine-filled energy drinks. Her terrified family performed CPR while waiting for paramedics.
Jayde’s mum, Natalie, said: “She was her normal bubbly self but suddenly her chest jolted and she fell to the floor, hitting her head on the bath and radiator. I put her in the recovery position and stabilised her but she had another fit. I screamed for my husband.”
“Jayde’s pulse was very faint and she started to go purple. She was dead on the bathroom floor – it’s a miracle that she is still with us.”
Her younger sister, Eliesha, held her head steady as their dad, Darryl, performed CPR that he picked up from the British Heart Foundation’s Stayin’ Alive ads. Jayde was put in an induced coma for 52 hours in order to protect her brain and heart after she arrived at the intensive care unit.
Her family waited in agony to see if she would recover and thankfully, Jayde emerged from the coma before a defibrillator was implanted under the skin of her shoulder to shock her heart back into normal rhythm if it happens to beat too fast or too slowly.
Medics told Jayde that when the alcohol she drank had worn off, the caffeine in her system took control of her heart rate which caused it to accelerate wildly.
She said: “I hope people will think twice about energy drinks – they could be deadly”
“At first I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. I’m getting better but I’m still tired,” she said as she’s still trying to get over this ordeal.
Speaking about Jayde’s time in hospital, her mum said: “She was covered in tubes. Nothing can prepare you for seeing your child like that.”
Jägerbombs are normally served with Red Bull and a 250ml can of the energy drink has almost the same amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee.
Dr David Maritz, of Yeovil District Hospital where Jayde was treated, said reports suggest children and young adults are at potential risk from high amounts of energy drinks.