The Met Gala is occasionally dubbed the party of the year for good reason. It marks the launch of the Costume Institute’s annual blockbuster exhibition, and also provides the chance to gawk at the star-studded lineup that grace the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in all their glory.
Hosted by Anna Wintour, Tom Brady, Gisele Bündchen, Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams, 2017’s spring instalment is titled Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between and showcases Kawakubo’s pieces designed for French label Comme des Garçons over the decades.
Check out some of our favourite celeb looks from the extravagant Monday evening affair:
1. Rihanna in Comme des Garçons – This sculptural number is a breath of fresh air from traditional gowns and she stays undefeated with yet another winning Met Gala look after her 2015 Guo Pei fur-trimmed creation.
2. Zendaya in Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda – Think resort wear with a vibrant tropical print all over, elevated for the evening with a full ball skirt and stunning neckline. Definitely a risk worth taking!
3. Gigi Hadid in Tommy Hilfiger – Paired with a smokey eye, neutral lip and fishnets, the supermodel sure brought her avant garde fierceness with this nude asymmetrical, one-shoulder dress with a tulle train.
4. Cara Delevingne in Chanel couture – The newly bald actress transports us to another galaxy by painting her head silver, to be paired with her sleek embellished suit.
5. Blake Lively in Atelier Versace – Half goddess in gold and half peacock, the fluttering feathers in shades of blue accents the eclectic ensemble.
6. Priyanka Chopra in Ralph Lauren Collection – The Quantico star rocked an oversized trench on the red carpet with her collar popped. Her smouldering eyes added to the powerful look.
7. Lily Aldridge in Ralph Lauren Collection – To go with her cape dress with sexy cutouts are a pink veil and hot red thigh high boots that contrast the elegance with some edge.
8. Lily Collins in Giambattista Valli Haute Couture – The 28-year-old actress tapped into her dark side by complementing the punk-princess gown with a jet black Kawakubo-inspired wig and lipstick.
9. Zoe Kravitz in Oscar De La Renta – Though a little unexpected from her edgy style, the blonde pixie cut princess looked dreamy in this stunning millennial pink strapless gown.
10. Selena Gomez in Coach – The “It Ain’t Me” singer locked lips with her new beau The Weeknd on the red carpet and channels her newfound happiness in a pretty lace lingerie-esque maxi with sequins that exude vintage vibes.
11. Lily Rose Depp in Chanel – A refreshing addition to the black-and-white flanked red carpet, the 17-year-old starlet turned heads in her hot magenta frock adorned with flowers.
12. Celine Dion in Versace – The Canadian songstress was sure to make her Met Gala debut an impactful one by donning a striking custom gown with a thigh-high slit, topped off with an origami-inspired headpiece.
13. Halle Berry in Atelier Versace – Also another attendee who made her first appearance at the Met Gala is Halle Berry, wearing a barely-there sheer body-hugging jumpsuit with a dramatic tiered train.
14. Ashley Graham in Comme des Garçons – Instead of concealing her curves, she further accentuated her hourglass figure in a deconstructed dress with floral and corset details, alongside organza ruffles.
15. Katy Perry in Maison Margiela – One of the most over the top looks on the red carpet came from Perry as she pushed the limits in a multi-layered gown comprising red tulle and chiffon, with a matching veil headpiece.