I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! It’s time to take a lick of these creamy and icy treats.
This yummy recipe is shaped in sandwich form, our classic dessert packs creamy, cold slabs of refreshing mint chocolate-chip ice cream between two deep-chocolate cookies, United, the complementary flavors of the two key components become one of summer’s most memorable melt-in-your-mouth treats.
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 2 quart(s) mint chocolate-chip ice cream, slightly softened
- Make the cookie-sandwich dough: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and the vanilla to the butter mixture and beat to incorporate. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Beat until a firm dough forms. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a rectangle, about 4 by 3 inches. Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 minutes.
- Shape the cookies: Line a 13- by 9-inch baking pan with plastic wrap and spread the ice cream in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refreeze. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Roll one rectangle of dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness — approximately 9 by 11 inches. Cut the dough into six 2 1/2- by 5-inch rectangles. Repeat using the remaining dough for a total of 12 cookies. Using the blunt end of a wooden skewer, poke holes into the cookies (5 rows with 3 holes in each row). Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the pan. Transfer the baked cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Place 6 cookies face down on a clean work surface. Remove the ice cream from the baking dish and unwrap it. Using a sharp knife, cut six 2 1/2- by 5-inch rectangles from the ice cream. Place one piece of ice cream on each of the cookies and top with remaining cookies. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until set — about 30 minutes.